Recently, my uni had a night market festival during Friday evening at uni. It was really nice with all the decorations, stage set up, band playing and crowded with people that made it more fun. The weather was set right, the rain drizzled only a little, and a perfectly clear night which is just nice for a night market.
The food was great, there was a whole bunch of Malaysian delicacies up for grabs(which I had not taken since Jan when I was in Malaysia), there was Indonesian, Thai, and food from all over the world. God knows where some of the food came from. But nevertheless, it was fantastic quality, although the prices could be more fantastic. For all the food lovers in Melbourne, i encourage you to come and visit the Melb Uni night market held once or twice every year, usually the middle of the semester.
I ate so much food on that day, had curry rendang, banana spring roll, soto mee(indonesian chicken noodles), watermelon sago and buburchacha. These kind of food you can't get out in the open market because they are rare, and usually only come from their respective countries.
Then there is also the games I played in the night market. I was supposed to hit all the cans off a shelf to win a small soft toy prize, and it cost me $2. I thought I could win, managed to hit 5 off(there were 6), but I reckon sometimes its unfair because in a new round the person rearranges it back and sometimes he puts it so far apart, only a Beijing Olympic athlete can hit all down.
I also met alot of my good friends there, and we stood in front of a band, almost got ourselves deaf because of their good quality music that was so loud. The crowd enjoyed it and a huge, loud applause was given everytime they changed a song. Something about the band was that they looked so typically Malaysian but the way they sang and stood. A 100% teh tarik malaysian like me can surely recognise them instantly without much trouble. I guess the true benefit of being a Malaysian is that you have the ability to recognise fellow Malaysians without much trouble, whilst other people don't seem to be able to have that ability as well as us. Too bad this skill is not marketable nor sellable to anyone.
Imagine going "Would you pay me to recognise a Malaysian anywhere anytime?" Nevertheless, it is a skill I'm proud of. With all the nice food, unique slang, and coming from a country where it either rains or not everyday, who wouldn't love to be a Malaysian yeh?
The night market was certainly an event and festival to remember! Josh now has to lose a few kgs after all the good food I consumed, will blog about it the next time!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment