Tuesday, February 24, 2009

CIMB Part III

It has been a memorable experience so far. Raymond my fellow mentor, Wei Wern my buddy at CIMB and Lionel my fellow intern all have made an impact on me so far. Everyday coming to work would be to learn something new and mingle and get closer to the people I just mentioned. It was truly a rewarding experience and I feel lucky just to be there at that time. It lets me live a full life with a challenge every day and the motivation to get out of bed. But nevertheless coming with the motivation is an expectation that this internship would one day end. And it did. Although I had wished that life were that simple and that it would continue indefinitely. But so being would mean I would lose my motivation, perhaps. Such the irony of it.

The last 3 weeks in CIMB has been nothing short of fun. Altogether I had been in CIMB for 9 weeks. I continued to learn much more on shipping. Terence, the head of department, gave me an exercise to compile net profit with salaries of directors over many years, and to do that for many companies. It was interesting. It is the work and the method that taught me something new, and useful for my future analytical skills, which I hope to learn as time passes. My last piece of work, however, was the most interesting one. I had to do a forecast model for a shipping company, Orient Overseas International Limited (OOIL). There I learnt how the balance sheet, profit and loss, and cash flow statement all interacted together. So awesome.

I will also miss the new buddy friend I made there, Lionel. He is from UNSW and doing commerce as well. I could relate to him easily as we were both kind of in the same position. I hope to be able to see him again because it is likely our paths would not cross again until the not-so-distant future. Till the next time we meet I suppose.

Most of all I will miss Raymond, whom has taught me alot of things in CIMB. He always needs a helping hand and I am happy to lend my hand. Although he is teaching me so that I can help him, he is nevertheless giving me so much benefit by asking me to do work. I learn alot that way. Researching techniques more like it. On the 2nd last day of my CIMB internship, Lionel and myself treated Simeon, Winson, Raymond and Wei Wern to lunch at Yogitree in Mid Valley. On the last day of my internship, Lionel and myself went for lunch with Ireena, and Lionel bought me a delicious slice of cake from Alexis. I will never forget the moment when I said bye to everyone as I was about to leave, and on top of that, will never forget my experience there, working in the top equity research department in Malaysia. Till our paths cross again, CIMB and my fellow beloved friends in CIMB Research.

No comments: