Friday, February 27, 2009

Me!bourne

I have been back in Melbourne for a few days now. Dad has been around. We have been going out alot, everyday. Seeing so many places, like today we went to Edithvale beach, which is near Frankston beach. Very beautiful place, we had ice-cream there under the shade. The sun was so hot. On the beach you could see alot of hot chicks sunbathing. But not many Asians at all. I am not attracted to non-asians, or so I would say. It's just me, if a chick and me don't click culturally, I am not attracted to them.

Also managed to visit my uni twice! The first time, I just came down from my flight at 11.50am. And the meeting was scheduled at 1pm. So I was rushing my family to faster check-out from the airport, get our luggage and rush to get a car and rush to my university. By the time we got a car it was already 12.50pm. Fat hopes of arriving on time. In the end I arrived at 1.30pm, 30 minutes late, only to find that people who were on the same flight as me arrived there earlier than me! So amusing and disappointing at the same time. If you are wondering what meeting that was, it was a tutor meeting. All the tutors were there listening to Jeff Borland, our old introductory microeconomics lecturer, talk about what he expects of us this sem. Then after his talk, we were all talking and making lots of noise as all the tutors started swapping tutorials with each other to suit their timetables.

I wonder which students I would get! How scary it would be for me to stand in front of 20 odd students and all of them looking at me as if I am the know-it-all person. I am the person with authority and suppose to tell them to do everything, and they are suppose to listen to my every word, if not... Yea, if not what? Nothing really. They can not listen if they want to. But they have to obey the code of tutorials, and usually if they are there then they are interested to learn, and don't want to fail that subject. The next day at university we went for our tutor training which lasted 3 hours. They had a teaching & learning specialist Anna Jones come in to teach us basically how to tutor. I remembered what she said about a lousy tutor who can come in and just write all the answers on the board and students just copy them down. And then she said the reason the university employs us is because we are expected higher than that lousiest standard. We have to make students engage in participation and make tutorials highly interesting. We learnt to deal with various situations, like what if a student doesn't participate, or he is too noisy, or too laid back, or what if awkward situations occur, like what to do, etc.

It was pretty interesting overall, but I loved every moment of it! Kinds of makes me impatient for my first ever tutorial. For the first tutorial, it is supposed to be a fun one. Not really anything much at all that is examinable, just fun and games. I am going to surprise them with a special game. Hopefully they enjoy it. I mean in the end, its fun tutorials that students look forward to. No student loves boring tutorials, and I understand that very well, being a student myself. I always look forward to the fun tutorials, and hopefully the tutor knows his stuff. I hope to be a good tutor myself! I need to stop thinking that I students won't like me, and that I keep on being concerned if they don't like me. Or that I have to be perfect at everything I do in the tutorial, if not they would pick on my mistakes. I think that is not true. Even the first years themselves, they would be even more terrified as they had not ever been to uni before. They really have no real expectations. I am excited!

No comments: