Monday, February 11, 2008

Interviews - what they are really about

Today I went for an interview for a job at uni. It was a tutoring job where I had to be like a discussion group leader and help students learn finance. :P What didn't I like about this job.

So, I rocked up at the interview dressing quite smart indeed. First time I got so many stares all the way from home to the bus ride to walking to uni. Maybe because I looked out of place. When I reach there, the lady was already interviewing someone. I sat down at a chair and listened to the interview. The guy seems okay, and the lady seems okay too. Nothing too impressive.

Then the guy left. It was my turn. We spoke and spoke and it seemed like it was all about me. I tried to shift the topic of conversation back to the job, but found it back at me again. Her questions weren't that difficult like what extra-curriculat activities do I do... what will you do if... give some examples of leadership qualities in you... type of questions. My life basically spoke for itself. Also I gave alot of references to church, saying I'm active in church. I don't really know if she was happy/distress with that but at least I gave God honour.

The interview went along, and she seemed to think I was a pretty busy person. I told her I was running a business and i was EIC treasurer this year and at the same time I'm working two jobs and being active in church. Maybe it was because of that. A bad move? Perhaps.

So I left the interview feeling it was all about me. Hope that means its good. I have had a similar experience before in a past interview and I know its not good. They said they will give me a call late this week or earlier next week. Hopefully it will turn out alright.

The next time I go for an interview I will make it a point to structure my sentences more like I am this and this... this is how I can help you. I have learnt this and this... my services will be valuable to the students, the students will benefit. You will have made a great choice hiring me because... I am this and that. Perhaps that is much better. A great learning experience this interview sure was!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey~ its my first time leaving comment in ur blog!!(i am an anonymous as u can see btw :P)Don't worry I am sure u've done ur best!At least you've learnt sth from the interview and that is way more important, right?