Actually, I have not attended many PASS(peer assisted study scheme) sessions before in the past, and my first ever session as a PASS leader is actually my 2nd PASS session.
But, this session was my first ever session as a PASS leader. Being a PASS leader is very different to being a tutor because they are in essence something totally different!
The difference between a PASS leader and a tutor:
1) a tutor tutors whereas a PASS leader leads the discussion
2) a tutor provides answers whereas a PASS leader does not provide any answer at all!
3) a tutor is seen as the expert whereas the PASS leader is seen as the adviser
4) in tutorials the tutor talks the most whereas in PASS sessions the students talk the most
That is just some of the differences. But PASS learning is associated to be more effective than tutorial learning. The creator of PASS is a professor of learning at University of Missouri, US.
This was the plan of my PASS session:
I walked into the class, greeted students as they settled down.
Got them to write down their names in the attendance sheet and also write their name on labels which they then can stick it on themselves.
I then asked them to introduce themselves to each other in pairs and then introduce their partner to the rest of the group. (By this time I was trying very hard to remember their names! Tashya, Cheryl, Han, Paula and one more I forgot by now)
I then asked the group what they thought PASS was, and also got members to ask questions and members answering questions. Basically I didn't answer any question, just sort of led the discussion. At the end of the discussion I felt that they knew clearly what PASS is about without me even giving a single answer.
Then I broke them up into pairs and had them discuss about their topic. They then had to write what they found on the whiteboard. By the time they were done, the whole whiteboard was full. I then had them explain to the group what they had wrote on the board in 2 mins or less. After each explanation, I would randomly shoot questions to the group and they had to find the answer to it. I really tried very hard not to give any answers!
After that exercise, I got each group member to think of one exam question to ask the group. Then in turn they had to tell of what they felt they understood better after attending PASS. I then thanked them for coming and said I hoped to see them the coming week.
I really enjoyed this session! But might be talking too much. Maybe its just me who don't talk very much. I look forward to the next.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
3a, for sure. Weird things happen to you! wedding dresses with lace sleeves Louboutin Shoes Accessories
Post a Comment