Friday, August 7, 2009

Citizenship - My commitment to Australia?

Today marks a special day in my life. No, not that I have became an Australian citizen. Today marks the first step in my important journey in becoming an Australian citizen. All people now who wishes to be a citizen has to go through a Citizenship Test, and fortunately, I passed the test today with flying colours. I got 100%! So quite proud of myself for that actually.

The book that we had to study is actually quite thick. It is a 46 page book consisting of Australia's history, the origins of Australia, the Aboriginal people and Torres Strait Islander, all about "mateship", ANZAC day, the culture, politics and economy of Australia and last but not least, information about Australia's national anthem and flag.

So I passed the test. The next step would be to register for Australian citizenship, however, that would take awhile to process as I have yet to get some documents from Malaysia, which includes a Statement of Good Conduct - basically a piece of paper signed by the police saying that you have been "a good boy" in Malaysia. I guess doing so well for the test was a spectacular ending for a week that has been quite hectic.

To top things off, we celebrated Yvonne's birthday today by having steamboat which is self-made. We had two pots, one with the normal soup flavour and the other with tom yam. We prepared all kinds of meats and vegetables. It was really delicious and I enjoyed every bit of the food-tasting and picture-whoring activities! Happy 20th Birthday Yvonne Lai!

I guess it is alot to consider being an Australian citizen. But no matter what, it is an important consideration because it can help pay for my university fees! I am still Malaysian at heart though, and always will be. As my profile says something like you can bring me to anywhere but you can't take the teh tarik person out of me.

On a side note, I finally got my own office at the Economics & Commerce building for being a tutor. For those who want to visit me, come to Room 603. What a happy ending to this week.

3 comments:

Sue Ann said...

congrats, for becoming more aussie and getting your own cosy place!

Kenjisan said...

Thanks! But I wanna be more msian can? =(

Anonymous said...

It bears reproducing: Everyone's sleeping styles are not the same. Heavy snoring may well be a normal factor for you personally. Almost everyone has not a clue which group they get caught in till they sleep at night with other people. Using the tips you've study right here will assist you to quit loud snoring and sleep at night such as you managed within the traditional days and nights!Do You Want Home Design Advice? [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Pro232rgram[/url]