Thursday, November 12, 2009

Why you should be a tutor

You should be a tutor.

A lot of people go for jobs that either:

1) pay a lot but do not bring you happiness
2) pay is really, really low but you are fulfilled

Usually it is quite hard to find a job that does both. For a part-time job at university, I would certainly, highly recommend being a tutor.

Let's start from the basics first.

Myth #1: Many people who are could-be-tutors are always afraid of not being able to teach properly in front of the class, if not, are scared that they screw up their students' educations.

Truth: The truth is that although the person's education depends to a degree on your teaching, you are unlikely to be able to influence that person by as much as you think. Either way, if the person really wanted to screw his own education, he or she could do it without your help

Myth #2: New tutors are scared that their students will ask them super hard questions

Truth: Usually you, as the tutor, would have done much more advanced subjects compared to the subject you are tutoring. And even if you can't answer a question, the best is to tell the student you would get back to him/her next week! No harm in that right.


I have truly enjoyed the times when I was teaching in front of the class, telling them all the important stuff they need to know and telling the occasional joke.

It's good to know that you are doing good in someone else's life while at the same time helping yourself earn some pocket money. It is a win-win situation for both parties.

Rather than working part-time in a retail store, I think tutoring actually is more meaningful. I have managed to form some good friendships with my students which, I do not know for sure now, but am pretty confident will last for years to come.

About the pay, the university is pretty generous about their tutors. Maybe that is because they want to attract and retain the best, that is why they pay more so that the tutor will do more preparation work for this tutorial. I think it is a fair deal, and certainly one of the better paying jobs in university.

But it is not all about the money. When you teach a subject, it does something good to you. You actually remember the stuff you teach very well and sometimes you wished that when you did the subject, you studied it like a tutor tutoring that subject.

If I were currently sitting for a subject and was given the opportunity to teach students that subject, it would make me more sharper and more focused in trying to understand it better for the benefit of my students. A tutor must really understand the stuff well first before he can teach it to others.

As a tutor, you also get to meet other people and fellow tutors. For those who are single, it is a great place to meet smart, pretty girls! There is this one subject I am doing right now, I cannot believe that majority of their tutors are smart, pretty girls. Why can't I be tutoring that subject now. :P But alas, they are all PhD level, abit too old for me, but pretty still!

So, you should be convinced by now that being a tutor is actually really fun and is one of the best jobs for a university student.

Certainly a great job!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here here!

Aaron.