Saturday, December 19, 2009

Kelvin's Graduation Ceremony

Today is the day of Graduation for my very very good friend, Kelvin Chuah Rhun Kiet. I have not actually attended a graduation ceremony before, and so since he got for me a ticket, I decided to attend his! For those of you who want to know when's mine, I do not actually have a graduation (no not because I failed, but I decided to defer it till after my honours year, next year).

Coming to uni again and seeing so many parents there is a different, unique sight. Everyone seemed happy to be with their parents, taking photos and smiling because they are now a graduate. I managed to find Kelvin and his family there at South Lawn. It was good to meet you, Kelvin's brother and sister. Also Kelvin's girlfriend and her family was there too. Such a nice meetup!

So we were off taking photos all the time, posing and knowing that these photos that we take would one day be very fond memories of graduation. I also got to catch up abit with Kim Chew, Jaslyn, Kuchai and Aida. Finally, at 3.30pm we entered Wilson Hall where the formal ceremony began. The Dean and Deputy Dean was there, they formally held the ceremony and all the graduates, one by one, began to come up and shake hands and receive their uni certificate.

It was in the following order - PHDs, Masters, Double Degrees, Honours and Degrees. It makes me think whether uni was worth it, all that hard work just to receive a piece of paper. But if I think like that, I would be totally wrong about uni, it is not about the piece of paper (worth 1 cent) but rather the friends and experiences that we get out of uni.

It was funny how the guy calling out the graduates names as they came up called most of the Chinese and Middle Eastern names wrong. I wanted to Laugh Out Loud, but I knew it would be rude. It was a good experience overall even though many people told me it was down right boring. But after going through that once, I think it would be enough to last me a year until I attend my own next year (hopefully).

Lastly, but not least, congratulations Kelvin on graduating!

No comments: