Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Credit Card Scam

So the other day I was innocently doing my homework when the phone rang. I picked up and it was some guy whom I didn't know.

Josh: Hi who is this?
Guy: Hi, I am calling from Mastercard-Visa, and I am glad to tell you that you have won yourself an all expenses paid trip to Disneyland! You are one of 15 selected lucky winners from Australia, and this is on behalf of the Rewards program for Mastercard-Visa for rewarding you as our loyal customer who has been steadily increasing your credit card limit.
Josh: (abit unbelieving) uh..really? thanks. What do I do next?
Guy: I would just like to confirm sir that you are a holder of Visa?
Josh: Yes
Guy: And you live at **/*** Blackburn Road, Doncaster East, right?
Josh: Yes

Guy: Thats great. I would just like to add on that your trip is for 4 nights 5 days, its all expenses paid..so that includes taxi fare to the airport, meals, breakfast, hotel expenses and everything else. Mastercard-Visa will take care of you all the way. And you can bring 4 people with you which can be 1 adults 3 children, 2 adults 2 children, 1 adult 3 children or all 4 children with you.


Josh: Uh, may I know where are you calling from?
Guy: Sir we are calling from Orlando, Florida.

Josh: Wait, so I have won an all-expenses paid trip to Disneyland, its in the US, and I can bring 4 people along with me. I have to say I am pretty lucky.
Guy: Yes, sir. We are selecting 15 lucky winners from Australia as a form of reward for being a loyal customer of Mastercard-Visa.
Josh: So, what do I do next?
Guy: We will be sending you a package in your mail in the next 10-14 business days. And in the package you have to verify with us the confirmation code which you have to provide now. After that, you are free to use your package anytime up to 1 year.
Josh: Oo..alright.

Guy: Please hold on while I transfer you to our credit department to confirm that you are a holder of Visa.
..
..
..
..
Guy 2: Hi Joshua, I am from the Credit Department of Mastercard-Visa. To confirm your identity, you will need to provide the expiry date of your Visa.
Josh: Sorry, I don't give that out over the phone.
Guy 2: I am sorry sir, you have to confirm your identity if not we can't send you the package.
Josh: Can you send me an email or something?
Guy 2: Sorry sir, we can't do that.
Josh: Then I can't give out my credit card details.
Guy 2: Then I am sorry to say sir you can't get the package.
Josh: Ok.
Guy 2: Ok. Bye.

After that I was thinking, all that and then just a bye? What a scam! Better to keep my money than risk it, but I have to give up the 'holiday' haha.

So much for Disneyland! They know I wanted to go so they tempted me. :P

2 comments:

Sue Ann said...

this is so funny! haha.. if it were me, i would've just blindly gave them the number. :( good one joshua!

Kenjisan said...

hahah sue ann... disneyland does rox! =D wish we cud go wif frens one day!