Sunday, February 14, 2010

Last Day of my Internship

So, finally, after 11 weeks it has came to an end.

My internship has been a great experience and has taught me a lot of things, especially about myself and what I am capable at and what not I am capable at.

If there were two things I have identified about myself which are weaknesses, then it would be:
i) Active listening
ii) The ability to answer questions in a balanced way

I believe I was always lacking those two character traits, but had not actually been aware of it. I really, really thank my buddy Chris who actually has a rare ability to read human beings well as the feedback he gave me was spot on.

I also realised that I am very capable of picking new ideas up easily and I am definitely an analytical person. To a certain extent, I also believe that I am sociable and am able to interact well with other people, at least in a professional way.

People tend to comment about me as someone who is also passionate about the work that I do. They can see high conviction in my ideas and that I tend to be excited and enthusiastic about new ideas. I guess in a way I am aware of that just that I didn't know to what extent that had an effect or impression on other people, but it is good to know now!

I have learnt a lot throughout the 11 weeks and have built lasting friendships (I hope) throughout the time there. I made new friends with my colleagues and especially my fellow interns, Shaun and Dom, and also including the interns in the other division. I can say that I have walked out of the place having a deep knowledge of how Asset Management works and how it feels like working there.

I have also got exposure as to what it feels like working in a high pressured environment and being given the responsibility of a full-time graduate because I felt as an intern there, the work I was given was comparable to that of an entry level graduate.

After finishing work at the place, I definitely feel sentimental towards it and had actually spent a day reflecting what I have learnt/done throughout my internship. It will be a good memory in years to come and I hope that I will takeway key lessons from the experience.

I want to actually start working full-time soon and probably would not be doing any more internships. It has been a great experience so far and having done 3 internships in total, I understand what it feels like to be an intern! Hopefully I will be able to communicate my experience to future interns whom would be someday working under me.

No comments: