Friday, May 15, 2009

Economic joke competition

There is this joke competition that I entered that has to do with Economics. And for those who enter you get a bonus mark for assignment and the top 3 jokes would win $20 each. So I figured why not just join and see how I go. Since I had some previous experiences with comedy too. This is what I submitted:

What they would teach in Economics dating school

A boy who is helpless at dating needs some help so he went to a dating school and this is what his dating guru taught him about giving gifts to his girls:

Utility is about making yourself happy,
At the same time doing it gladly,
Make sure you get your preferences right,
But of course with your incoming expenditure on girls in sight.

If you prefer Betty to Claire and Claire to Addy,
Make sure you prefer Betty to Addy as it is called transitivity,
Unless you have lexographic preferences,
The utility curve can easily graph your choices.

If you know her demand functions,
You should anticipate her reaction,
Always give her something above her expectations,
As you have already solved her utility maximisation by her Lagrange functions.

If it can’t be explained by economic reasoning,
It proves that unpredictable are her feelings,
The best response function is to continue giving,
As long as she prefers more to less your relationship should continue blooming.